Now on to House Beautiful, savoring each issue in its' entirety, turning the pages, marking up articles to share on my Facebook page...
"Ask the Barefoot Contessa" column! Here's what I found, and what I made for dinner on Wednesday night; "Spaghetti with Shrimp and Broccoli"... easy, easy easy. Never thought about roasting shrimp (prawns) but they sure turned out gorgeous, pink, juicy and NOT overdone.
You will need:
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups of broccoli florets
- Good Olive Oil
- 1 pound shrimp (16-18 per pound) shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 1 pound good pasta - we used whole grain
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
**Not on the Barefoot Contessa's list, but I also roasted red peppers and fresh cherry tomatoes from our deck garden
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, bring a large pot of water to boil with 2 tsps. of salt
2. Combine the broccoli, (and red pepper if you choose) 1/4 cup of olive oil, 2 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. of pepper on a sheet pan , spread out and roast for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from oven, and then spread shrimp and tomatoes with the broccoli, return to oven and roast for another 8-10 minutes. (look how plump the shrimp/prawns are!)
4. Meanwhile cook the pasta in the pot of boiling salted water, according to the directions on the package. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water before draining the pasta.
5. Heat 1/3 cup olive oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold the finished pasta. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until it begins to turn golden. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for about 30 seconds more. Carefully add the reserved pasta cooking water to the garlic and oil, then bring to a boil. Lower the heat, add 1 tsp. of salt and simmer for about 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
**Hint: we used 1/2 cup of white wine in place of 1/2 cup of the pasta water**
6. Add the drained pasta to the garlic oil and toss. Take off the heat, add the cooked shrimp and broccoli, plus the parsley and Parmesan cheese.
7. Voila"! Serve with a nice white wine and some crusty fresh bread, and enjoy!
Have a wonderful weekend, get outside and enjoy some nice fall weather. I think we will be headed down to the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero in San Francisco for some farmer's market shopping - will send pics if we do!
We've had a very eventful week at Caron's Beach House - here's where we've been featured!
Completely Coastal - Caron's Beach House http://www.completely-coastal.com/2010/09/carons-beach-house.html
Sally Lee by The Sea: Window Shopping for Beach Fall Finds http://www.sallyleebythesea.com/2010/09/window-shopping-for-beachy-fall-finds.html
Coastal Creations and Designs: Everything Coastal Unplugged http://coastaldesign.blogspot.com/2010/09/everything-coastal-unplugged-interview.html
Thanks again for your support, your comments and for following!