Have the back-to-school blues?
Step One - Start with a clean slate!
De-Cluttering your space will help to even see where your new design needs to start. It's also just a great way to access your gear for next year - does it need repairing, donating, or maybe even tossed in the recycling bin? Clearing a space also helps me transition from one season to another and makes it a little easier to say good-bye to summer. (booooooo)
- Put away all of the summer gear; oars, life jackets, bathing suits,beach bags, beach towels, etc and store safely for next year. Maybe just hide in the garage out of sight, cause I am sure that you will still be spending time still at the beach looking for shells or having a few more boating adventures. (or as in the image above - store your surfboards on the ceiling!)
- Shoe Patrol - Unless you live in a tropical climate (or Southern California!) then time to stash the pile of flip flops! And impose a strict limit on how may shoes per person can be left at the front door or in your mudroom. I am the worst offender of this rule!
- For each family member; allow only one dedicated space for back packs, purses, school bags or briefcases. Use heavy-duty wall hooks, pretty storage baskets or cubbies. If no space, then backpacks, etc. go in the bedrooms.
Loved this fun idea with the chalkboards and pegs from DecorChick!
- Toss in the washing machine and dryer: Before putting away summer pillows, cushion covers or beach towels, or canvas beach bags, make sure to give them a quick run in your washing machine.
- Roll up the summer style rugs.Time to transition away from seagrass, jute and lighter striped area rugs. Vacuum and clean-up any spots or spills before rolling up and storing until next spring. Make sure to store in a dry (non-damp!) space to preserve.
Now where to start? Here are a few of our essential ingredients for creating an easy beach home entry or mudroom for living at the coast during fall and winter!
- An Entry Area Rug
- Heavy Duty Hooks
- Baskets for Storage
- Built in Shelf or Entry Table
Stay tuned for Beach Home Entry Organization for Fall - 201!