Completely awestruck! Clear blue sky, roaring waves - amazing, powerful, soul restoring, with fewer than 10 people (and a few puppies!) on the beach to share this incredible experience. Worked up an voracious appetite after our walk in the sand. So, of course we had to stop at our favorite fish market in Half Moon Bay on the way back home for some local fresh caught salmon for a seafood dinner feast.
To die for - Salmon with Lemon Caper Sauce
Fish + Marinade
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
2 large shallots
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons of olive oil
4 salmon fillets
Lemon Caper Sauce
2 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
14 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fish stock (or 2T each water and clam juice)
1/4 cup half & half or light cream
1 anchovy fillet or 1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons capers, drained
1. Fish: Mince parsley, basil and shallots in food processor or by hand; place in plastic bag with oils and salmon. Seal and turn to coat salmon completely; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight; turn occasionally.
2. Sauce: Simmer lemon juice, wine and stock until reduced to 2 T, about 12 minutes, add half & half and boil until reduced to 1/4 cup (2-3 minutes)
3. Mix the anchovy paste and the mustard together thoroughly, then add to the already reduced lemon sauce.
4. Whisk butter in over low heat, 1 Tablespoon at a time, letting each piece melt before adding the next. Set aside, then add capers, salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
5. Keep Warm - but not too warm!
6. Finish: Place salmon on aluminum foil if grilling or on broiler pan, skin side down. Grill or broil until opaque, about 8 minutes (be careful not to overcook!) depending on thickness.
7. Plate and spoon the sauce over each fillet and garnish with extra capers or parsley if desired.
|School of Fish Wine Tumblers|
We've been saving a bottle of Alpha Omega Chardonnay (Napa Valley 2009) for a special occasion. Luckily for me, every Saturday with Tom seems like a special event, even if we are just hanging out at our dining room table....
*vanilla sea salt tomatoes recipe courtesy of the Walrus and the Carpenter
Have a great week!